A DIY recipe is always fun and handy. Not only does it save you a trip from the grocery store but you’re also assured with the nutritional contents of the food you consume. And what better recipe to make during this sweaty summer season than a homemade Italian Ice to ward off some of the heat? Thanks to this DIY recipe, you don’t need to go to comb through the ice stands to get some.
The increasing Fahrenheit and the length of daytime only indicates one thing – it’s definitely the midpoint of the summer season.
We all dream of experiencing being under the Tuscan sun, but until then, we can make some Italian ice for ourselves and just imagine we are strolling along the Roman streets.
Making Italian ice is relatively easy. It only requires a few minutes of your time, and you will only need a blender or food processor as the freezer will do the rest of the work.
What’s an Italian Ice?
Italian ice is a traditional Philadelphian summer delicacy. Its main ingredients are water, sugar or honey, some fresh fruits, and sometimes they put a squeeze of lemon juice to level the sweetness. The Italian ice is somewhat similar to Italy’s frozen dessert called granita, but the Italian ice’s texture is smoother.
- 3 cups of your chosen fruit;
- 2-4 tbsp of honey or granulated sugar;
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice;
- 3 cups of ice.
1. In a food processor or blender bowl, mix all the ingredients with two cups of ice.
2. Blend all the ingredients until you see the mixture become chunky. Add the remaining ice. Blend the mixture again until it becomes really smooth.
3. Transfer the mixture into a 9”x13” baking dish then let it sit inside the freezer for 30minutes.
4. After half an hour, take the Italian ice from the freezer and grate it using a fork until the mixture becomes slushy. Freeze it again for about two hours.
5. After two hours, take the Italian ice from the freezer. If it’s too frozen, you can either let the ice sit out for a few minutes or you can blend it a little until it becomes slushy.
6. Scoop the Italian ice into cups. You can make different flavors by using different fruits, then serve them together in a cup for a more exciting treat.